Pets

Making your world a better place

Learn more
vet-tips

Objects Swallowed by Dogs

Image

When it comes to dangerous doggy eating habits, Aussie dogs like their jocks and socks...

Not all dogs stick to dinner from the dog dish – some seek satisfaction further afield and can devour a range of objects which can be very dangerous to their health.

Pet Insurance statistics from 2015 show the Top 5 danger objects for Australian dogs:

  • underwear – especially G-strings
  • socks
  • dental floss and string
  • landscaping stones
  • butter – which can cause serious problems with the pancreas


English dogs' dangerous dining includes:

  • bones
  • stones
  • corn on the cob
  • plastic
  • rubber balls

Other dangerous items consumed by dogs include fish hooks, sewing needles, fruit stones, macadamia nuts and kebab sticks.

Some dogs are also good at accessing medications such as anti-inflammatories, paracetamol and antidepressants.

In many cases, animals require surgery to remove foreign objects that have obstructed their digestive system. Medical expenses can total up to $5000.

Catch up on Bondi Vet stories about dogs which had to be treated for eating the wrong things: