Household Objects Most Swallowed by Pets


When it comes to dangerous doggy eating habits, Aussie dogs like their jocks and socks...

Not all dogs stick to dinner from the dog dish – some seek satisfaction further afield and can devour a range of objects which can be very dangerous to their health.

Pet Insurance statistics show the Top 5 danger objects for Australian dogs:

  • underwear – especially G-strings
  • socks
  • dental floss and string
  • landscaping stones
  • butter – which can cause serious problems with the pancreas

English dogs' dangerous dining includes:

  • bones
  • stones
  • corn on the cob
  • plastic
  • rubber balls

Other dangerous items consumed by dogs include fishhooks, sewing needles, fruit stones, macadamia nuts and kebab sticks.

Some dogs are also good at accessing medications such as anti-inflammatories, paracetamol and antidepressants.

In many cases, animals require surgery to remove foreign objects that have obstructed their digestive system. Medical expenses can total up to $5000, so consider having pet insurance when you have a pet with bed habits in the house.

Want to watch more Bondi Vet content? Subscribe to our channel.

Back to blog