Tips and tricks to encourage your dog to be a better eater
As parents know, you've got to be clever when it comes to getting your little ones to eat the food they should. With our pets, it's no different.
- Be firm. If they don't eat, remove the food after 15 minutes and let them wait until the next meal. It's what we call tough love.
- Get your dog to show the right behaviour (sit) or get them to perform a trick - they will associate this with feeding time.
- Parents eat first. Your pet will get hungry if you dish up their meal after your own. Pets have a great sense of smell. Appetising aromas are just the thing for tantalising their taste buds.
- Give them food with the highest level of protein – this tastes the best.
- Use stainless steel bowls as plastic ones retain smells and can be off putting
If after all these tips your pet is still off its food, then a trip to the vet is recommended.
Be patient. Your dog wants to eat, you just need to give it a reason to, which may include changing their type of food.